As a college town, Blacksburg is home to several establishments that court the student population, but locals lay claim to a variety of venues and events, making for a spirited social scene for all ages.
Especially popular is the eclectic music scene downtown, anchored by several restaurants that feature performances on weekends and during the week.
- A popular vegetarian restaurant known for its lively atmosphere and diverse clientele, Gillie’s hosts live music on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.
- Home to the Blacksburg’s original underground tavern, along with a craft beer store, The Cellar features a blues jam and open mic on Monday nights, as well rock, acoustic, and jazz acts during the week.
- India Garden Restaurant offers a comfortable setting to enjoy acoustic, jazz, and folk music on Friday and Saturday nights from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
- Showcasing both professional and amateur comedians, Blacksburg Comedy Club is held every Wednesday night at Frank’s, a full-service bar on the first floor of 622 North Restaurant. Besides pool tables, dart lanes, video games, and large-screen televisions, Frank’s also hosts reggae shows on select Thursday nights and live music on Saturdays.
- WUVT 90.7FM Presents "Green Eggs & Jam". This is a jam session night where anyone can show up with an instrument and play along or join in on vocals which occurs every other Tuesday at She-Sha Hookah Cafe & Lounge.
- Sycamore Deli regularly offers local and touring bands the opportunity to play. In addition, they often feature up and coming DJ's.
Because every town is meant to be explored, this list highlights only a few of the more popular venues that offer either specials or regular entertainment. Blacksburg is teeming with hidden gems in nearly every corner, so get out and test the waters.
Did You Know?
In 2010, Virginia Tech ranked 10th among universities globally on the “IEEE Spectrum Patent Power Scorecard,” which analyzed the strength of patent portfolios for calendar year 2009. During fiscal year 2010, 37 U.S. patents and 7 foreign patents were awarded to Virginia Tech Intellectual Properties and 44 license and option agreements were signed.