Blacksburg is home to Virginia Tech, a public land-grant university founded in 1872 that now occupies 2,600 acres in the heart of town.
Boasting 1,425 world-class faculty members and groundbreaking research, Virginia Tech offers the largest number of degree programs in the Commonwealth of Virginia and thrives on student involvement in more than 600 clubs, organizations, and social groups.
Equally committed to academic excellence and its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), the university prepares some 31,000 full-time students to be leaders in their fields and communities and fuels economic growth and job creation across the state.
Despite its size, Virginia Tech maintains a friendly, small-town feel and a palpable sense of community that truly is contagious.
- Virginia Tech ranks 27th among national public universities.
- Virginia Tech is one of only three public universities in the United States to support both a military and a non-military student lifestyle.
- Virginia Tech consistently ranks among the top 15 schools in the nation in number of patents received.
- The Center for Digital Government named Blacksburg the sixth-most technologically advanced town in the nation among urban areas with a population of 30,000 to 74,999.
- The Princeton Review nationally ranked Virginia Tech Dining Services No. 2 for Best Campus Food in 2011 and No. 3 in 2012.
Mobile apps for visiting Virginia Tech
Among their array of features, the apps include a virtual tour of campus, directions for getting around and where to park, and directories of campus buildings, area hotels, restaurants, and things to do and see in the region.
Did You Know?
Explore Park - located off of the Blue Ridge Parkway in nearby Roanoke, Va. - named the 2nd "Best Mountain Bike Trail" (2010).