Services for Job Seekers and the Unemployed

File for an Unemployment Claim Online - Unemployment claims are filed through the Virginia Employment Commission.  In order to file for Unemployment Insurance (UI) you must have been separated from your employer or have had your hours reduced. 

VEC Services for Job Seekers - The Virginia Employment Commission provides services to workers that include job referral and placement, referral to training, and job search skill building activities.

The information on this page is provided courtesy of

Did You Know?

In 2010, Virginia Tech ranked 10th among universities globally on the “IEEE Spectrum Patent Power Scorecard,” which analyzed the strength of patent portfolios for calendar year 2009. During fiscal year 2010, 37 U.S. patents and 7 foreign patents were awarded to Virginia Tech Intellectual Properties and 44 license and option agreements were signed.